Gastric bypass is an effective bariatric surgical procedure which aids in weight loss by restricting the amount of food the stomach can hold, and also by altering the way food gets digested.
Dr. Francisco Gonzalez is a highly experienced bariatric surgeons serving the Mexican border city of Tijuana. With gastric bypass in Tijuana by Dr. Gonzalez, you can look forward to quality care for prices substantially lower than in the United States.
What Happens in Gastric Bypass Surgery?
- Gastric bypass surgery involves reducing the capacity of the stomach to roughly the size of a walnut.
- This is done by dividing the stomach into two pouches using staples.
- Food enters the upper pouch, which is tinier than the lower pouch.
- This new stomach can hold just about an ounce of food.
- The next step of the surgery involves creating a bypass by connecting a small part of the small intestine with the new stomach pouch.
- The ingested food will pass from the new stomach pouch through this opening in your small intestine, thereby bypassing a major portion of your intestine. This results in fewer calories to be absorbed.
- In one variant of the surgery, known as Roux-en-Y (pronounced roo-en-y) gastric bypass, the new stomach pouch is connected to the jejunum (the mid portion of the small intestine).
- This helps the food to bypass the lower stomach pouch and the duodenum, the upper portion of the small intestine.
- According to MedlinePlus, people lose 10 to 20 pounds per month on an average in the first year after their gastric bypass bariatric surgery.
Alternative Names of the Surgery
- Stomach bypass
- Roux-en-Y bypass
- RNY bypass
After Your Surgery
- Expect to experience some belly pain for the first few days after your surgery.
- You will be put on a liquid diet for about 3 days after your surgery.
- As your stomach will be much smaller than its original size, you will feel sated quicker with smaller quantities of food.
- You might experience dumping syndrome (with symptoms such as diarrhea and nausea), as the food will empty into the intestine faster.
- You will have to take nutritional supplements to prevent deficiencies, as the part of the intestine that absorbs vitamins and minerals the most easily gets bypassed.
4 Reasons You Should Consider Tijuana for Surgery
- Save big: Our value-for-money gastric bypass packages with Dr. Gonzalez cost almost 70% lower than the average American prices.
- Proximity: The hospital where your gastric bypass will be done is just a few minutes’ drive from the San Ysidro Port of Entry.
- Getting there is easy: The closest American airport at San Diego, California is just about 20 miles from the hospital.
- Quick scheduling of surgery: Your surgery gets scheduled conveniently, minus any wait-times.
Know Your Bariatric Surgeon
Dr. Gonzalez has over 18 years of bariatric experience. One of the first weight loss surgeons to receive lap band certification from INAMED, Dr. Francisco Gonzalez has undergone training in advanced bariatric surgery in Alcoy, Spain under Dr. Aniceto Baltazar.
With experience of over 2,500 gastric sleeve and lap band, he has established himself as a consummate surgeon in the field of bariatrics.
Get in touch with us through the FREE online-quote form on the right for more information on gastric bypass by Dr. Francisco in Tijuana.