Gastric Sleeve in Tijuana for Less Than $4,000.* Claim the Limited Time Offer Now!
Over the years Sleeve Gastrectomy or VSG has gained popularity becoming the second most used bariatric procedure worldwide to do away with obesity, as stated by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Obesity brings along a host of underlying life-threatening conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and stroke. In the United States, more than six percent of the adults are severely obese, with Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or higher1. According to the State of Obesity, more than 34.9% or 78.6 million of U.S. adults are obese with Arkansas ranking first at 35.9% rate of obesity2.
The soaring cost of gastric sleeve surgery in the US has made it difficult for self-paying Americans to go under the knife. The long waiting lists also add to the agony. Therefore, many of them are looking down south to Mexico for low cost vertical sleeve surgery.
Gastric Sleeve Price Comparison – Mexico vs. Rest of the World
|Country||Cost of Gastric Sleeve|
*Disclaimer: All prices are subject to change without prior notice; please contact us for the latest information.
What’s Included in Our Package?
- Fees of the Surgical Team, Hospital Fees and Medications are covered in our Tijuana gastric sleeve surgery package price
- Nutritionist Programs are generally out of pocket expenses borne by the patients but with Tijuana Bariatric Surgeon you get them for FREE. We work with a US-Registered Nutritionist to help you meet your weight loss goals
- We provide FREE Ground Transfers (Airport-Hotel-Surgery Center)
- You can make FREE Phone Calls to the US and Canada
- Aftercare and Post-Op Support
- Pre- and Post-Op Lab tests
- An English-Speaking Destination Manager to assist you throughout your stay in Tijuana, Mexico
Note: Terms and Conditions apply
- When in Tijuana, our on-site bilingual nutritionist will assist you and take care of your dietary needs both pre- and post-surgery.
- Join our FREE webinars conducted by bariatric experts.
- In addition to this, you get FREE membership of our Online Weight Loss Surgery Support Group.
Meet Your Gastric Sleeve Surgeon
A well-known bariatric surgeon in Tijuana — Dr. Francisco Manuel Gonzalez — will be performing your gastric sleeve surgery. He specializes in minimally invasive bariatric surgery and has experience of more than 20 years in the field. He specializes in minimally invasive Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery (SILS) technique.
Dr. Francisco’s domain of expertise includes vertical sleeve gastrectomy, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB), gastric bypass surgery, and revision surgeries such as lap band to gastric sleeve.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Sleeve Surgery?
Our bariatric surgeon from Tijuana explains anyone who has a BMI of more than 35 with obesity related illnesses is a suitable candidate for sleeve gastrectomy. Watch his video for more information on who qualifies for gastric sleeve.
Why is Cost in Mexico Lower?
Lower bariatric surgery costs in Tijuana, Mexico compared to the US can be attributed to the following:
- Unlike the US, there is no malpractice insurance cost in Tijuana, Mexico.
- Cost of real estate and labor is lower in Tijuana. Therefore, the cost of building maintenance and office is also lower.
- General costs of living are lower in Mexico than in the United States.
What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric Sleeve, also known as Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG), removes nearly 85% of your stomach laparoscopically, making it look like a tube or sleeve.
On an average, the procedure takes 90 to 120 minutes. One or two nights in the hospital are recommended. One may return to work after two to three weeks following the surgery.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG):
- Minimally invasive procedure3
- Requires a short procedure time compared to other bariatric surgeries3
- Known to achieve remission of diabetes in patients having type 2 diabetes3
- Excellent long-term results including weight-loss maintenance, reduction of co-morbidities and improvement in quality of life3
- Less complications, quicker post-op recovery and shorter hospital stay3
According to a latest study (April, 2016) by Mehmet Mihmanli, Riza Gurhan Isil and colleagues, LSG is quite an effective surgical technique in the treatment of morbid obesity. It also helps in treatment of endocrinological diseases related to obesity3.
How Does Sleeve Gastrectomy Help in Weight Loss?
Sleeve Gastrectomy makes the stomach smaller and one tends to feel fuller quickly after eating smaller quantities of food. The hunger causing hormone called ghrelin is reduced in the process as a major part of the stomach responsible for its production is also removed.
Effect on Type 2 Diabetes
According to Mehmet Mihmanli and colleagues, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) surgery can achieve “a complete remission of diabetes in 95.4 % patients having type 2 diabetes during a 1-year follow-up period.”
Average Weight Loss After LSG
Clinical evidences show that LSG also helps in reducing weight and bringing down body mass index (BMI). The following table shows loss in BMI and excess weight loss (EWL) of 88 patients who underwent gastric sleeve surgery, based on a research study by Mihmanli M et al: 3
|Preoperative BMI||BMI at 6 Months||BMI at 12 Months||EWL at 6 Months||EWL at 12 Months|
|48.65 kg/m2||30 kg/m2||26 kg/m2||68%||81%|
Diet after LSG
Diet is an imperative part of VSG and your commitment to lifelong changes contribute to a successful bariatric surgery. Our doctors and nutritionists at TBS will guide you for better surgery outcomes.
|Week 1-2||Week 3-5||Week 6-7||Week 8 onwards|
|All Fluids||Pureed Food||Soft Food||Normal Food|
|Skimmed milk, sugar free custard||Well blended food, pureed fruits and veggies||Soft veggies like cabbage and cauliflower||Eggs, tofu|
|Clear soup||Thick smooth soup||Overcooked pasta||Fat free yogurt|
|Unsweetened fruit juice||Mashed potatoes||Soft cheese||Low fat cheese|
|Fat free yogurt||Chicken, fish stew||Fat free rice pudding, custard||Cooked broccoli, beans and carrots|
Things to AVOID
- Carbonated and fizzy drinks
- Extra sugary and sweet foods
- Chewy meats, nuts and hard foods
- Fried food
- Candies and chocolates
How long do I need to take vitamins?
Vitamins and additional supplements will be a lifelong necessity.
Do I need to quit smoking before surgery?
According to the ASMBS, smoking leads to decreased blood supply and delays healing. It is recommended to stop smoking six weeks prior to the surgery.
Are there any other precautions that I need to take?
Our bariatric surgeon in Tijuana may ask you to go on a special pre-operative diet 2 – 3 weeks just before surgery and you may have to continue with a strict diet plan post surgery as well. Do not attempt lifting anything heavy as it may put pressure on your stitches.
Call the doctor in case:
- You have fever at 101 degrees or higher
- You have redness around the stitch line
- You have an unbearable pain
- You experience nausea
- There is drainage from stitches
- You vomit immediately after swallowing something
What else can I do in Tijuana?
Tijuana has many tourist attractions including:
Casa de la Cultura de Tijuana: The Tijuana Cultural Center (CECUT) is a doom-shaped cultural center which has a ball-shaped OMNIMAX theater.
Frontón Palacio Jai Alai: Hosts a number of musical concerts as well as theatrical performances.
Avenida Revolucion: A prime tourist area of TJ well known for its discounted medicines and pharmacies.
Playas de Tijuana: This is where the beaches of TJ are. You can take a stroll by the beach boardwalk. It is dotted by several interesting-looking cafes and pizzerias.
Contact us NOW for a FREE estimate on Low Cost Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Mexico.
- Mihmanli M, Isil RG, Bozkurt E, et al. Postoperative effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in morbid obese patients with type 2 diabetes. SpringerPlus. 2016;5:497. doi:10.1186/s40064-016-2167-8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4840121/
- Prices for other countries are taken from Cost Helper.